Lamar University Press Logo

Late rally comes up just short at UL-Monroe

Image credit: Lamar athletics.
Image credit: Lamar athletics.

MONROE, La. – Lamar University scored two touchdowns within 4:21 of the fourth quarter to pull within a touchdown but the Cardinals came up just short falling to UL Monroe, 24-14, Saturday night at Malone Stadium.
The Cardinals – who have outscored their first two opponents 31-17 in the second half this season – recorded 311 yards of total offense on the night – with 121 of those coming on the ground. ULM finished the day with 384 yards, including 285 on the ground. The Cardinals' defense also recorded a sack and three tackles for losses.
Junior Robert Coleman completed 19-of-25 (.760) passes for 190 yards and one touchdown. Coleman connected with seven different receivers on the night, led by Kyndon Fuselier's five catches for 59 yards. Beaumont's Andre Dennis added five grabs for 48 yards.
Junior Khalan Griffin led the ground attack with 13 carries for 45 yards (3.5 ypc), while Izaha Jones recorded one carry in the fourth quarter which he took for a 47-yard touchdown.
Big Red won the opening toss and elected to take the ball first. Coleman led the Cardinals on an 11-play drive down the field to the ULM 18-yard line. The Cardinals lined up for what would've been a 35-yard field goal but it was a fake as the holder – Major Bowden – took the snap and rolled to his right throwing into the end zone but the pass was picked off.
After a personal foul call against Monroe, the ball was brought back to the ULM 15. The Cardinals' defense held and got the ball back. Lamar had a second drive down inside the red zone, trailing 7-0, and attempted the field goal but the kick was pushed wide.
Late in the second quarter, the Warhawks came up with the second big play of the game, blocking a punt (on the LU 21) which was recovered in the end zone to give the Warhawks a 14-0 advantage. Unfortunately, the deficit went from seven to 21-point in just over two minutes of game time. Just 33 seconds after the blocked punt, Monroe's defense came up with its second interception of the night and that pick led to the third score of the game to give UL Monroe a 21-0 lead which they took into the locker room.
After a scoreless third quarter, the Cardinals got on the scoreboard early in the fourth quarter. Coleman led the Cardinals down the field on a 12-play, 72-yard drive that ended with a 19-yard pass from Coleman to Bowden in the end zone. The drive consumed more than six minutes off the clock.
After a three-and-out, the Cardinals got the ball back a little over two minutes later and Coleman and company wasted no time taking advantage. On third and six Coleman completed a 12-yard pass to Dennis in traffic to keep the drive alive. On the next play, Coleman ran the option to the right side of the field and held the ball as long as he could before making the pitch to Jones who did the rest. Jones avoided one defender stayed inbounds and carried the ball 47 yards into the end zone to pull Big Red within a score.
Unfortunately, the Cardinals could get no closer as UL Monroe tacked on a field goal in the closing moments.

The Cardinals return to action Saturday, Sept. 16, when they travel to Vermillion, S.D. to take on South Dakota. The game will kick off live at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast on Newstalk 560 KLVI.

Category: Sports